By S Winnik
Corrosion-under-insulation (CUI) refers back to the exterior corrosion of piping and vessels that happens beneath externally clad/jacketed insulation due to the penetration of water. through its very nature CUI has a tendency to stay undetected until eventually the insulation and cladding/jacketing is got rid of to permit inspection or whilst leaks take place. CUI is a typical challenge shared via the refining, petrochemical, energy, business, onshore and offshore industries.
In the 1st variation of this publication released in 2008, the EFC operating events WP13 and WP15 engaged jointly to supply guidance on dealing with CUI with contributions from a few eu refining, petrochemical and offshore businesses. the ideas are meant to be used on all vegetation and install that comprise insulated vessels, piping and kit. the ideas disguise a risk-based inspection technique for CUI, inspection ideas and advised top perform for mitigating CUI, together with layout of plant and gear, coatings and using thermal spray ideas, varieties of insulation, cladding/jacketing fabrics and safeguard guards. the ideas additionally contain case studies.
The unique record first released in 2008 was once very winning and supplied a major source within the carrying on with conflict to mitigate CUI. Many individuals of the EFC corrosion group asked an replace and this has taken among 18-24 months to take action. confidently this revised record will proceed to serve the group offering a realistic resource of data on the right way to computer screen and deal with insulated systems.
- Revised and completely up to date technical counsel on coping with CUI supplied by way of EFC operating events WP13 and WP 15
- Contributions from a couple of ecu refining, petrochemical and offshore companies
- Extensive appendices that supply extra sensible assistance at the implementation of corrosion-under-insulation top perform, amassed sensible services and case studies
Read Online or Download Corrosion Under Insulation (CUI) Guidelines PDF
Best metallurgy books
Helpful details on corrosion basics and purposes of aluminum and magnesiumAluminum and magnesium alloys are receiving elevated realization as a result of their gentle weight, abundance, and resistance to corrosion. particularly, while utilized in vehicle production, those alloys promise decreased vehicle weights, reduce gas intake, and ensuing environmental advantages.
Fiber-reinforced polymer (FRP) composites have gotten more and more well known as a fabric for rehabilitating getting older and broken constructions. Rehabilitation of steel Civil Infrastructure utilizing Fiber-Reinforced Polymer (FRP) Composites explores using fiber-reinforced composites for boosting the steadiness and increasing the lifetime of steel infrastructure reminiscent of bridges.
Hip resurfacing arthroplasty (HRA) utilizing metal-on-metal bearings is a longtime yet specialized method in joint surgical procedure. according to the adventure of major specialists within the box, The hip resurfacing guide offers a entire reference for all facets of this crucial method. the 1st a part of the publication experiences and compares the entire significant hip resurfacing prostheses, their key layout good points, proper surgical options and scientific effects.
This ebook covers a number of soldering equipment and methods in addition to the most recent info on solder alloys, solder movies, floor education, fluxes and cleansing equipment, heating tools, inspection strategies, and quality controls and reliability. it's aimed toward for scientists, fabric engineers, designers, production engineers, and technologists who desire sensible information instead of theoretical guideline.
- Fundamentals of metallurgy
- Extractive Metallurgy of Lead
- Phase Mixture Models for Metallic Nanomaterials
- Corrosion Behaviour and Protection of Copper and Aluminum Alloys in Seawater
- Phase Mixture Models for Metallic Nanomaterials
- Audel Welding Pocket Reference
Additional info for Corrosion Under Insulation (CUI) Guidelines
3. Rountinely inspect weatherproofing and steel. Repair insulation damage resulting from inspection. 4. Weatherproofing and design corrections are essentially the same as for vessels, except for roof/wall joint. 3 Example of tank areas of concern. ● ● ● ● ● Insulated leg supports for small vessels. Damaged or missing insulation jacketing. External base ring of insulated tanks. Pipe and flange on pressure safety valve (PSV). Temporary insulation installations. Particular attention should be given to locations where insulation inspection plugs have been removed to permit piping thickness measurements on insulated piping.
Note 1: Dead legs shall be treated the same as main pipe, except that temperature should be estimated, because the dead leg will be much cooler, especially if long. For example, a dead leg on a 230 °C line could easily be in the 50–110 °C metal temperature range for high probability. Note 2: In case of cyclic service (or temporary temperature changes), the range corresponding to the most critical temperature reached shall be taken. 10 Susceptibility factors Cladding or insulation condition Continuously <50 °C Or >175 °C Shop coating (full quality assurance) <8 years Or Aluminum-wrap <15 years Good to engineering standards (undamaged) Not present Inside building Not steam traced Not sweating ?
Insulated leg supports for small vessels. Damaged or missing insulation jacketing. External base ring of insulated tanks. Pipe and flange on pressure safety valve (PSV). Temporary insulation installations. Particular attention should be given to locations where insulation inspection plugs have been removed to permit piping thickness measurements on insulated piping. These plugs should be promptly replaced and, if necessary, sealed. 2 Heat exchangers Specific areas of focus on heat exchangers and other insulated horizontal equipment are detailed as follows: ● ● ● ● ● Termination of insulation at flanges Termination of saddles insulation Rings for insulation Damaged or missing insulation jacketing Pipe and flange on PSV Attention should be given to locations where insulation inspection plugs have been removed to permit piping thickness measurements on insulated piping.
Corrosion Under Insulation (CUI) Guidelines by S Winnik